About the Max Planck Society

About the Max Planck Society

The Max Planck Society for the Advancement of Science is an independent, non-profit research organization. It was founded on February 26, 1948, and is the successor organization to the Kaiser Wilhelm Society, which was established in 1911. The primary goal of the Max Planck Society is to promote research at its own institutes. It is not a government institution although it is funded to a large extent by the federal and state governments. Instead, it is a registered association and has its registered seat in Berlin. The Administrative Headquarters and office of the President are located in Munich.

Career at the Max Planck Society

The Max Planck Society is one of Europe's leading basic research organizations. In its research laboratories, workshops, libraries, and administration, scientists and researchers perform demanding tasks with a high degree of autonomy and creativity.

Student Teacher Portal

With its four-page information brochures BIOMAX, GEOMAX and TECHMAX, the Max Planck Society prepares current topics from basic research especially for schoolchildren and arouses interest in the natural science subjects of biology, chemistry, physics and geography.

Convention sites

Every year, scientists from the institutes of the Max Planck Society organize a large number of scientific meetings, symposia and conferences. For this purpose, the Max Planck Society maintains several conference facilities - for further information please refer to the respective websites.

Harnack-Haus Berlin
The Harnack House is located in the center of the German Oxford in Berlin, which is characterized by excellent scientific institutions. Established in 1929 as guest house and conference venue of the Kaiser Wilhelm Society in Berlin-Dahlem, it distinguished itself, particularly in the early years, quickly as an international scientific club. Since 2000 the house is conference venue of the Max Planck Society. more
Max-Planck-Haus Tübingen
In the 1960s, Prof. G. Melchers urged that a Guest House for guests and employees of the Institute (at that time the Institute of Biology) should be built. Thus arose, on Waldhäuser Hill, the Max Planck House as a service company for the Max Planck campus in Tübingen, which opened its doors on 1 April 1962. An extensive renovation took place in the 1980s, and modernization is carried out regularly. more
Max-Planck-Haus Heidelberg
The Max Planck House Heidelberg is a Conference Center and Guesthouse used jointly by the four Max Planck Institutes in Heidelberg (the MPI for Medical Research, the MPI for Comparative Public Law and International Law, the MPI for Nuclear Physics and the MPI for Astronomy). more
Go to Editor View